[LAU] Samples + Synthesis synth?

Gordon JC Pearce gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Mon May 17 22:45:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 18:08 -0400, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 12:34:19PM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:
> > On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Malte Steiner <steiner at block4.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thats not correct. The Prophet VS is a hybrid synth, digital oscillators
> > > plus real analogue filters, my favorite combination actually. That hybrid
> > > approach lives on in Dave Smiths Evolver (which again is no VA) and in the
> > > Spectralis. These digital oscillators didnt ape analogue ones and even alias
> > > a bit.
> >

> > Adds Emu Emulator EIII to list or hybrid analog filter & digital
> > sampler/soundshaper (they're awesome, even in the all-digital "xp" version)
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260552890845
>
> Wasn't the Ensoniq Mirage also a hybrid like that?

Yes, as well as the ESQ-1, SQ-80 and SDP-1.  Same basic idea, DOC chip,
couple of multiplexers and eight Curtis filters.  The Mirage had 128k of
RAM and was a sampler, and the synths had the samples in ROM.

I'd love to get another Mirage keyboard (got a rack, but I'm a
completist) and an SDP-1 piano.

Gordon MM0YEQ