[LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu May 20 01:59:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, 19 May 2010, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

  (re: udev update for raw1394 permissions)
> Does it work correctly for you? If so, I could add this to the Planet
> CCRMA jack package.

  Yes, I installed it just as S C Rigler suggested, and after a reboot, the
raw1394 device was available to the 'audio' group, and I could launch jack
with the firewire driver.
   This, however, is dependent on my being a member of the audio group.  I
did that manually a few days ago, to get around another issue I was
having.  Looking thru /etc/group now, I see a 'jackuser' group.  Is that
one you defined, and is it the 'preferred' group to put users into for
pro-audio work?  If so, maybe it would be better to assign /dev/raw1394 to
jackuser instead.

In any case, I would suggest adding a section to the 'installing CCRMA on
F11 & 12' describing the need to subscribe the user to *some* priviledged
group in order to access the specialized hardware.

I would also suggest moving the section on the RT kernel up higher, as the
first item after adding the CCRMA repositories, before even thinking about
playing with applications.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009