[LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

Scott lau at troutpocket.org
Thu May 20 16:20:56 UTC 2010

On 05/20/2010 06:38 AM, Rick Green wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2010, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> One other thing I've encountered:
>>>
>>>  I can now run ardour after starting jack with qjackctl, but if I start
>>> Ardour first, and go to the 'audio setup' tab and select 'FFADO',
>>> then the
>>> interface box is empty, as well as the 'input interface' and 'output
>>> interface' boxes on the 'advanced' tab.  The pulldowns give me no
>>> options,
>>> either.  I don't see anything like this reported as a bug on the Ardour
>>> tracker.  I wonder if it's still an anomaly in my config?  I do see
>>> the same
>>> mis-behaviour on both my US10.04 and FC12/CCRMA test systems.
>>>

>> Ardour's audio setup tab has no real support for FFADO at this time. The
>> audio setup tab was created primarily for OS X users. If you are on
>> Linux, I
>> strongly, *strongly* recommend that you use qjackctl or some other
>> equivalent tool to run JACK.
>>
>  Thanks.  I've been using qjackctl on my US8.04 system, and I'll
> continue with my new system.
>
> I wonder if someday qjackctl, ffado-mixer, and possibly others would
> be adapted to a 'plug-in' architecture so that they could be launched
> as needed from Ardour.  The benefits of integration without having to
> duplicate all that code??

Each jack enabled application would have to adopt that behavior.  I
consider jack to be the baseline sound routing system that should start
after login.  Then I can fire up a dozen jack enabled apps and patch
them as I see fit.

-Scott