[LAU] It's time to release The Salamander Grand Piano

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat May 22 21:21:06 UTC 2010

Excerpts from alexander's message of 2010-05-22 22:55:10 +0200:
> Yes, midi sustain is either on or off, where anything from 63 and below
> is OFF and 64 and above is ON. So velocity sensitive pedals should exist
> (I haven't looked into it). eg sustain message 120 would be a loud ON
> and 35 would be a moderate OFF.

This is what my keyboard sends for pressing and releasing the pedal
(according to aseqdump, with a couple of Active Sensing cut out).
LS interprets the value 48 as sustain off.

 24:0   Control change          0, controller 64, value 0
 24:0   Control change          1, controller 64, value 0
 24:0   Active Sensing
 24:0   Control change          0, controller 64, value 48
 24:0   Control change          1, controller 64, value 48
 24:0   Active Sensing
 24:0   Control change          0, controller 64, value 127
 24:0   Control change          1, controller 64, value 127
 24:0   Active Sensing
 24:0   Control change          0, controller 64, value 48
 24:0   Control change          1, controller 64, value 48
 24:0   Active Sensing
 24:0   Control change          0, controller 64, value 0
 24:0   Control change          1, controller 64, value 0

> I know that releasing the sustain sounds quit dry and unnatural and that
> is a common problem with midi. The problem is the note-off message(which
> actually is a note-on message with value 0, at least on my m-audio
> keyrig) is sent even if the sustain is on (>64) and the sample player
> simply ignores it. The optimal solution would be to have the sample
> player both remembering and releasing the note-off message at the same
> time. Then you could have the hammer noise releases play even if sustain
> is on and playing the harmonic string resonance samples when the sustain
> is released(off).

I don't know how many samples you have in there that I don't even
consciously hear :)
Raising what seems to be the overall release time helps a bit, but a
post processing fade out is still necessary.

> > The other thing is that removing your whole pedal section doesn't really
> > hurt. There seem to be some bugs in that section:
> >
> > <group>  hikey=-1 lokey=-1 on_locc64=64 on_hicc64=127 off_by=2
> >
> > hikey and lokey take values from 0 to 127 according to:
> > http://www.cakewalk.com/devxchange/sfz.asp
> >

> Yes, this is a bit odd but I found another resource that said you have
> to disable note-on messages by giving hi/lokey a -1 value. Else
> on_hi/locc# wont work. I sort of confirmed it by loading the free sfz
> player in dssi-vst and trying it there, I couldn't properly test it tho
> as it kept crashing when I loaded the whole instrument.

Ok, very strange. I leave it out for now.

> > Someone who works with sfz told me that LS currently has a bug and
> > needs offby instead of off_by.
> >
> > <group>  hikey=0 lokey=0 on_locc64=0 on_hicc64=63 group=2 volume=-30
> >
> > This line refers to group=2 which doesn't exist.
> >
> The group=2 opcode is connected to off_by=2. What it does is that when a
> region that has the group=2 plays, it stops all regions that has
> off_by=2. As for now one could comment out the pedal action section as
> the on_lo(hi)cc# opcodes aren't implemented in LS yet.

Ok, I don't understand it, but commenting out is what I did :)

> > These are just some things that were noticed, I didn't even try to
> > understand sfz and didn't check the whole file. I'm very happy that the
> > Salamander exists and will certainly use it, so thanks :)
> >
> I'm happy you like it!

I sure do. The Yamaha e-piano I have only has a TRS headphone out and the
cable I soldered to connect it to my audio interface doesn't quite fit
into the Yamahas socket, so I can't get a sane recording from it.

A nice sounding sampled piano is just what I need, thanks :)
--

Regards,
Philipp