[LAU] It's time to release The Salamander Grand Piano

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun May 23 09:41:34 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Peter Nelson's message of 2010-05-23 08:56:11 +0200:
> On Sat, 2010-05-22 at 23:55 +0300, alexander wrote:
> > >
> > Yes, midi sustain is either on or off, where anything from 63 and below
> > is OFF and 64 and above is ON. So velocity sensitive pedals should exist
> > (I haven't looked into it). eg sustain message 120 would be a loud ON
> > and 35 would be a moderate OFF.
>
> MIDI sustain is just another CC message and can have any value from 0 to
> 127. Some sustain _pedals_ (and the interface they connect to) are only
> on/off, and there the convention is 0 for off and anything from 64 and
> above is on.
>
> I have a continuous sustain pedal which I plugged into the expression
> controller jack on my keyboard to use it fully, however out of all the
> soft-synths I have used, only Pianoteq actually does anything with the
> extra information.

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Also in the light that yamaha seems to sell a
poor variant of everything, so I get 3 states instead of 128. Well, as
long as there's basically no synth/sampler that uses the information it
doesn't matter a  lot.

--

Regards,
Philipp