[LAU] is there a "sourceforge" or "youtube" for MIDI ??

Robin Gareus robin at linuxaudio.org
Tue May 25 20:38:28 UTC 2010

Hi Niels,

http://ccmixter.org/ might be an option; AFAIK they don't have an online MIDI database; but it's backend 'ccHost' is GPL.

> The site would compile out a midi stream that you could listen to, and you could upload new versions or revisions back to the site....

not quite the whole thing; but the wiki.linuxaudio.org understands ABC midi notation and can generate .pdf as well as .mid files using
http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:abc
for an example see http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/abcmiditutorial

ABC certainly lacks a few crucial features for complex arrangements; and for doing truly collaborative works you'll certainly want something more sophisticated.

Anyway with a wiki you get a revision and diff system for free; it's quite handy when 'brainstorming' on musical themes, melody lines or for sharing basic ideas. You can also work collaboratively, though not at the same time.
It's not exactly what you had in mind but maybe a first step.

> Add ratings system so people can figure out what's worth listening to.

indeed, and you'll also want tagging; and an artist-index with avatars :)

> It would bring a whole new meaning to the dub concept of version, no?

LOL, go for it :)