[LAU] KDE 4.4's nice integration of Pulseaudio, ALSA, and JACK!

James Morris james at jwm-art.net
Thu May 27 14:00:12 UTC 2010

Well I thought I'd give fedora 13 (the kde 'spin') a go the other day.
I've tried a few distros which used KDE, and found it quite visually
appealing, more so than gnome for sure. But I'm left with the feeling I'm
using Windows with it (which is better than the feeling i'm left with
after using gnome ;-). Instead all I did with Fedora was install gparted
and resize the gentoo partitions except I forgot to copy one of them
before deleting it.

Anyway, the point I'm eventually trying to get to... i decided against
fedora13+kde and did a fresh gentoo install over it instead.

gentoo's using kernel 2.6.34 and it seems to have the full
real-time-preemption low latency desktop option.. built in, so all i've
had to do was /etc/security/limits.conf wotsits - though I'm not sure if
that is the real real time patch or what.

james.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 19:32, Niels Mayer wrote:
> It'll be easier for Fedora 13 users to adopt KDE and enjoy it's
> superior and flexible (optionally pulseaudio-free)  audio integration:
there's a special "spin" for the KDE desktop and tools:
> http://spins.fedoraproject.org/kde/
>
> (other specialized "spins" https://spins.fedoraproject.org/ .. now all
they need is an F13 CCRMA spin with realtime kernel and all the cool
progs from that repo).

> http://techhaze.com/2010/05/ubuntu-with-a-k/ is an interesting read on
KDE 4.4 vs. Gnome from an Ubuntu perspective. Looks like Fedora13's KDE
spin will satisfy the need for a desktop that competes with the latest
Windows and Mac offerings.