[LAU] Complete MIDI confusion

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat May 29 21:52:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Aaron Krister Johnson
<aaron at akjmusic.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that I'm very confused by the whole jack MIDI system. Are
> there some docs to refer to, as in a tutorial? I'm confused why Julien
> needs to use so many Jack applications to set up a single MIDI
> connection...it's certainly less involved with aconnect. And I've
> certainly started jackd with -X and have access to alsa sequencers--so
> why the other timer and bridge apps, etc?

the timing behaviour of the two -X options (seq and raw) are not very good.
some might be sufficiently uncharitable as to call them "unusable".

a2jmidid (at least versions of it that are less than a year old) are much
much better and for now its the recommended way to make ALSA sequencer ports
show up in JACK.

some people (including julien) want JACK MIDI ports to show up as ALSA
sequencer ports too, so he has an additional program for that (j2a_bridge).

finally, julien is running a program to generate MIDI clock messages.

--p