[LAU] qjackctl fails to exit gracefully on UbuntuStudio 10.4

John Ouzts jouzts at gmail.com
Sun May 30 14:12:58 UTC 2010

I recently did a fresh UbuntuStudio 10.4 amd64 install.  I found that I
could only
start qjackctl once without rebooting. When I attempted to close jackd with
the
Quit button on qjackctl, the next attempt to run it results in the following
message:

Enhanced3DNow! detected
SSE2 detected
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|256|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
23:08:49.544 JACK was stopped successfully.
23:08:49.544 Post-shutdown script...
23:08:49.545 killall jackd
23:08:49.549 JACK has crashed.
jackd: no process found
23:08:49.993 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.
23:08:50.025 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation
failed. -
Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

Neither "sudo kill -9 <PIDs of jackd, qjackctl and qjackctl.bin>" nor "sudo
pkill -9 qjackctl"
nor closing the terminal in which qjackctl was executed eliminates this
problem.

Since this was a clean install with very little added beyond ambdec,
tetraproc and mhwaveedit,
I don't have any explanation for this problem except bad karma between the
current UbuntuStudio
and qjackctl. On one occasion when starting the reboot, I got an error
message asking if I
wanted to wait for process Unknown to complete.

The good side to this is that UbuntuStudio 10.4 boots up quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
John