[LAU] qjackctl fails to exit gracefully on UbuntuStudio 10.4

Raine M. Ekman raine at iki.fi
Sun May 30 17:40:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, 30 May 2010, John Ouzts wrote:
> I recently did a fresh UbuntuStudio 10.4 amd64 install.  I found that I
> could only
> start qjackctl once without rebooting. When I attempted to close jackd with
> the
> Quit button on qjackctl, the next attempt to run it results in the following
> message:

> Since this was a clean install with very little added beyond ambdec,
> tetraproc and mhwaveedit,
> I don't have any explanation for this problem except bad karma between the
> current UbuntuStudio
> and qjackctl. On one occasion when starting the reboot, I got an error
> message asking if I
> wanted to wait for process Unknown to complete.

Are you getting bus errors from other programs and weird window and
keyboard behavior in GNOME as well? I had something like this happening
just yesterday, reading this gave some insight:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jack-audio-connection-kit/+bug/491329

Exiting PA (pacmd exit) and deleting /dev/shm/pulse* before starting
qjackctl seems to do the trick for me. I upgraded my Ubuntustudio from
9.10, so YMMV.

  Raine M. Ekman ...... raine at iki.fi
  the Radio Project ... http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=36109&displ_lang=en