[LAU] qjackctl fails to exit gracefully on UbuntuStudio

alexander axeldenstore at gmail.com
Mon May 31 19:27:57 UTC 2010

On 05/31/2010 07:57 PM, John Ouzts wrote:
> alexander wrote:
> | What output do you get when doing: lsof | grep snd
>
> alexander,
>
> Below is the data that you requested. My current thinking, following
> Raine's lead, is that it is not qjackctl that is
> not exiting gracefully but pulseaudio, which leaves too much memory
> tied up in /dev/shm for qjackctl to come up
> twice in a row on my machine (1GB of RAM). Once I run "sudo rm
> /dev/shm/pulse*" qjackctl cycles at least 3 times
> (all I've tried). The problem may still lie with qjackctl, since I am
> using the "artsshell -q terminate" in qjackctl>Setup>
> Options>Execute script on Startup. While that seems to stop
> pulseaudio, it does not release the memory that
> pulseaudio tied up in /dev/shm.
>
> If someone has superior insight, please let me know.
>
> John

Hmm, well, it doesn't seem to be the classic problem that some app is
hugging your soundcard.. but I wonder, what are all those processes
doing with libsndfile? then again I sit on archlinux, either way it
shouldn't be a problem as far as I know.. There is also something called
"pulseaudi" in there too, typo?

Btw, Can't you just remove pulseaudio altogether? or is it trapped in
some kind of nasty dependency hell?