[LAU] SSD for audio

Benjamin Freitag benjamin at die-guten-partei.de
Tue Nov 2 18:19:18 UTC 2010

Am 02.11.2010 17:51, schrieb Florian Faber:
> Rosea,
>

>> Thanks for the replies so far. Till now people seems to be positive
>> about SSD for audio data. More and/ or different views on this?
>>
> What exactly should be the problem using SSDs for audio? SSDs are far
> superior in comparison to discs in every way except the the number of
> write cycles.
>
> We use SSDs in audio production a lot, also for editing video. There are
> PCIe cards on the market (OCZ e.g.) which offer way higher bandwidth and
> IOPs than 3GBit/6GBit SATA drives. They allow for instantenious handling
> of several uncompressed HD/2k streams while editing and create a very
> comfortable workflow.
>
> Of course we don't use SSDs as a storage solution, just for the 'hot'
> data (=active projects).
>

> Flo

I can tell you what may go wrong.
You may counter write cycle problems by ALWAYS USING BACKUPS-no compromise!
I used SSDs for audio recording/editing, and when you use MLC or even
SSDs with Jmicron JMF602b
there ARE problems when you dont read sequentially(e.g. multitrack), try
SSD raid or a mixed SSD/HD setup, it'll boost things extremely....

THE BIG BUT is when your SSD has firmware bugs, Jmicron SSDs are famous
for that(shows as 4GB disk), you may reflash the device(ask if you need
flashers/drivers/links), but ALL YOUR BELOVED DATA are lost.
If you need high speed access(e.g. live transmission), become aware how
cheap ram is today, and try to use something like the following command:
"mount -o size=2000M -t tmpfs none /media/ram"

No SSD can beat that...(actually)

In the end, applied correctly SSDs may speed up your workflow,
but cheap or faulty SSDs may destroy your whole contractors data.
For the money of two cheap SSD(needed for solid performance)
you may buy an old server with wnough ram slots an redundant gigabit(min
2000MB/s) and you are just fine

Cheers