[LAU] Music made with linux: Abundance - Ambient-Psy-Trance

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Nov 3 04:45:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, November 2, 2010 6:03 am, Philipp Ãœberbacher wrote:
> Excerpts from fons's message of 2010-11-02 13:02:59 +0100:
>> On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 11:45:14AM +0100, Philipp Ãœberbacher wrote:
>>
>> > It would be quite a faux pas if it didn't work on the mix but on
>> > individual tracks instead, but from your description of messed up
>> levels
>> > it sounds like it. If you compared the two mixes at the same level and
>> > they sounded different, then A3 messed up.
>>
>> To find out all that needs to be done is the test proposed by Sakari
>> Bergen. I'm not going to do this on two files that take 30 min each
>> to download, but if some smaller files would be available I'd be
>> happy to.
>>
>> Ciao,
>
> There's no such file showing up in this thread for me, but yes, it
> should be rather easy to do it in a more technical way as well. In
> addition, both Sakari and Paul should know what actually happens in A3.

http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/abundance/

Actually, I exported the Halloween mixdown at 11:40pm on Sunday night. So
it's possible that there are some anomalous contributing factors which may
not be reproducible in normal testing. Given the nature of the content I
would not be surprised in the slightest.

However I swear that all I did was export the mix once with normalise
enabled (at 11:40pm on 31 October 2010) and once with it disabled during
day light hours on 01 November.

IMO, one thing is definite and my friend has confirmed it by listening
from here. The Halloween mix is dark and spooky. There is no doubt about
that. The levels are very heavy and the bass is prominent in the mix. That
was not my intention as I prefer the 01 Nov mixdown but it has a certain
"je ne sais quoi" which is quite apt for a Halloween mixdown ;-)

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.

"ZPE is not about creating something from nothing: It is about using the
zero point of a wave as a means to transform other forms of potential
energy like magnetic flux, heat, or particle spin into usable energy in
such a way that entropy appears to be reversed."