[LAU] screencasting with ffmpeg

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Nov 4 19:08:21 UTC 2010

On 11/04/10 19:54, Rustom Mody wrote:
> Thanks Robin for your answer. Let me take your points in reverse order
>
>> What GNU/Linux distribution are you using?
>>

> debian unstable

You should be fine. just `apt-get install ffmpeg` or use aptitude and
select version 5:0.6~svn20100726-0.1 directly.

>>> 2. It says get an ffmpeg with h.264  -- where/how to get?
>>
>> Most distributions ship ffmpeg with x264 enabled these days, although
>> there are some http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html considerations. So some don't.
>>
>> You can always compile it from source, but due to the large amount of
>> dependencies and configuration options that is only to be taken as last
>> resort.
>>

> I believe that my getting the ffmpeg from debian-multimedia this issue
> has been solved

There's almost no need for http://debian-multimedia.org/ anymore. most
things are available directly from DebianMultimedia
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia these days.

>>> Ive been trying to follow this link
>>>
>>> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/screencasttutorial
>>>
>>> 1. It says xsession wont work in gnome -- any alternatives?
>>
>> It's a capital X in Xsession. But you can just use any windowmanager
>> instead of Xsession. after the `export DISPLAY=:2` just launch wm2,
>> xfwm, fluxbox, ion3, icewm, openbox,... whatever.
>
> I dont get all this :-) All I know is I am using gnome which sometimes
> seems to be using metacity.

metacity is the default window-manager of gnome. but the gnome-desktop
is much more.

> Can I replace xsession by metacity?

Sure but metacity is only a minimal window-manager, no session, panel,
menu etc.

Try 'xfce' - if you're used to gnome it's got a similar 'feel' and is
not too heavy to install.

best,
robin