[LAU] ecasound and jack.plumbing don't play well (j.p dies)

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sat Nov 6 14:58:50 UTC 2010

Nama configures Ecasound by writing a chain setup,
and allowing time for jack.plumbing to connect
the desired ports.

However if jack.plumbing happens to poll while
ecasound is not connected to jack, j.p dies with
errors.

	Connect: 'system:capture_1' -> 'ecasound:brass_in_1'.
	jack_connect() failed: 'system:capture_1' -> 'ecasound:brass_in_1'

Jackd reports:

	Cannot connect ports owned by inactive clients: "ecasound"
	is not active

I've found that rapidly connecting and disconnecting ecasound
is a reliable way to kill jack.plumbing.

I may be able to work around this by killing and restarting
jack.plumbing each time Nama reconfigures Ecasound, however
it would be nice if jack.plumbing could handle Ecasound's
routine behaviors more robustly.

Regards,

Joel

--