[LAU] Music made with linux: Abundance - Ambient-Psy-Trance

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Nov 7 23:29:24 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 02:52:57PM -0800, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> On Sun, November 7, 2010 4:11 am, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>
> > In your shoes, I'd measure the playback system and try to pinpoint the
> > part which is causing the distortion. If you tweak your mix to sound
> > good with the distortion your current system exhibits, the mix will not
> > sound like that anywhere else. So to make your mix sound good
> > everywhere, you have to have a clean setup as a reference.
> >
> > (Note the word measure: this is the only way to get any sort of
> > objective results. )
>
> Ideally I would have some very good speakers to do this step but that is
> not currently possible for me.

You don't need very good speakers to do this. In fact it's more
difficult the better your gear is.

Most probably you have some distortion when playing back high
(digital) levels. This could be your sound card, or anything
after it in the signal chain.

If it's your sound card, the reason could be too high analog
gains (set either by the mixer app, or by HW controls), or
just the card being crap. It's easy to test, and resolving
this issue would clear up at least part of the fog.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.