[LAU] SSD for audio

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Nov 8 16:24:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 14:34:32 +0100
"rosea.grammostola" <rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 03:42 PM, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > I just installed 2 SATA drives in my studio system to replace the 3 ATA
> > drives in there now: an 80 GB for the current projects and a 500 GB 2.5"
> > mag drive for the OS and all the non-live projects.  This then all gets
> > backed up over the network.  I'm going to pull the power to the ATA drives
> > today and see how much it changes the noise generated.
>
> This is SSD? Why 2.5" and not 3.5"
> Which size SSD is recommended for a Desktop pc?

I went with the smaller drives for a few reasons.  One is that the smaller
drives are easily obtainable for me.  My company makes storage systems that
use 2.5" drives exclusively, and have proven the 2.5" drives (at least the
Constellations) to be both performant and rugged enough for the task, so I
wasn't worried about the smaller drives lacking in that regard.  The other
issue was that I didn't have room for any more larger drives (though I'll be
able to pull them now that the system has proved itself), but I did have room
for the 2.5" drives.

> Hmm when I set cpu scaling on performance, the fan of my T61 makes to
> much noise for a SSD to be valuable...

I've been trying to resurrect a T61 a friend had given to me.  It's got a
known issue with the onboard video memory, so the only real fix is a mobo
replacement, but in researching that, I found that there's a known issue with
the T61 and fan noise.  Check out the website
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_control_fan_speed
There seem to some things that can be done to minimize it.  Good luck!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com