[LAU] Spdif cable (was: Life in the old beast yet! A session report)

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 19:03:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 1:57 PM, rosea.grammostola
<rosea.grammostola at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm reading a bit through this link http://delta.brainiac.com/deltasync.html
>
> "Note about SPDIF cables, these cables are not the same type of cabling used
> for analog audio, the internal resistance of the cable is different than for
> analog audio. Although analog RCA may appear to work, it is not reliable.
> Examples of SPDIF cables can be found at www.hosatech.com"
>
> I just bought a cable for experimenting a bit with spdif. But apparently I
> didn't bought the right one, but a 'normal' audio cable...

Yep, you need the kind of cable labeled "digital coax", like the ones
used for connecting a DVD player's digital output to a surround sound
receiver's digital input. They have RCA connectors but don't work well
as analog audio cables, and vice versa -- analog audio cables don't
work well as digital audio cables.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com