[LAU] my first movie

Anh Hai Trinh anh.hai.trinh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 07:04:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> My own intentions are slightly different in that I want to see how far
> music that is not normally sung can be sung in 2,3,4 parts.  I dont
> restrict myself to Gurdjieff music for this -- Bach, Beethoven, early
> church is all good in its own way.

I think you made a poor choice in music to demonstrate that intention.
The chorales by Bach is well-known because of their contrapuntal
writing, and it IS sung in 4+ part.

Anyway, I just feel that the music you chose is boring. Maybe I just
don't like the idea of "utility music", but if you choose to "animate"
music, you can choose a better piece surely, say
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

> I grew up with Tovey's commentaries on Beethoven sonatas in which
> regarding the coda of the Hammerklavier fugue he says -- remember this
> is not 2 fists but 3 voices uniting.
> My contention is that Beethoven was actually hearing 4 voices and
> rendering (poorly) for two fists.

That is certainly true of Beethoven piano music, and of all fugues —
that each part should strive to be a singable line. But what's the
relevance to your intention?

--
@chickamade