[LAU] Gentoo jack wiki page wrong? (was Re: 200 lines kernel patch)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Nov 22 20:45:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Bearcat M. Sandor
<hometheater at feline-soul.com> wrote:
> On 11/21/2010 6:43 AM, Paul Davis wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Jouni Rinne<l33tmmx at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Cgroups (using the 'Ubuntu'-style workaround mentioned in the original
>>> article)
>>> + realtime scheduling works here, on Gentoo, kernel 2.6.34-r12, but needs
>>> little extra configuration in /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf, please
>>> see here
>>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK#Kernel_Configuration
>>
>> the information contained on this page is at best misleading, and
>> arguably wrong.
>>
> Paul, as i have always appreciated your input would you mind explaining
> why/where it's wrong? I have my Gentoo system set up based on that page and
> i'd like to get it right.
>
> Even better would you consider updating the Gentoo wiki so that it is
> correct?

i don't have time to register and correct every incorrect piece of
text that has accumulated in distro-specific wikis over the last
several years.

the doc in question is wrong about Group Sched, although its true that
it makes life more complicated and should probably be left off.
it also continues to perpetuate the "nice" error in limits.conf AND
provides a fixed value for memlock.

my best take on all this stuff will always be found at
http://jackaudio.org/faq and will updated from time to time as needed.