[LAU] Any support for MADI?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Nov 24 00:12:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 06:38:48PM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> and for the price difference to the pcie version, you can get a small
> form factor pc (well, always), with decent disks and raid1.

Yes. I tend to dislike using laptops for any serious work, but
they are of course convenient.

And a big part of the problem is indeed the mechanical side of
the audio interfaces. Look at Cardbus, Expresscard, Firewire,...
it's all so fragile. The cards stick out, moving the laptop could
be enough to break something. As could someone pulling or just
moving the cable accidentally. Firewire connectors are so tiny
that the weight and/or stiffness of the cable is enough to break
them, or the socket, or the PCB supporting the socket.

SC optical interfaces (as used for MADI) would be nice on laptops
- the cable is light and flexible, and if anything happens it's
very likely the cable that will be broken. Which is much less of
a problem than a laptop that you probably can just throw away.

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.