[LAU] controllerism on linux

Renato Budinich rennabh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 09:40:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>wrote:

> "The real work is in collecting and organizing the music, and organizing
> your controller's workflow to make performance smooth and interesting, as
> Moldover has done."
>
> I wish that was true, but I understand what Renato says about diving into
> technical details and spending more time programming or configuring things
> rather than working on music. Organizing is important, but when Sooperlooper
> simply does not display what loop is being played and you need around 20
> loops at the very least when 4 already take up the whole screen -
> Sooperlooper's ability to be controllerism software, which requires clarity
> of interface and quick workflow, becomes too theoretical.
>
> I absolutely do not want to say that Linux software is not capable of
> providing controllerism in question, but at the moment - let's say, it is
> not trivial. And for a musician who is not a programmer - basically, close
> to impossible.
>
> I would love to be proven wrong, because then I would use this solution on
> Linux myself. But at the moment all discussions along the lines of "You
> could just as easily do some controllerism stuff with a hacked Novation of
> your own, or an Arduino, or a Monome, and just about any looper" feel like
> the person who is saying it did not really try. Especially, the word
> "easily" grates on the ears.
>
> =)
>
> --
> Louigi Verona
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/

I understand your point Louigi. OTOH this controllerism-type of thing
seems a rather new approach to music, and quite a radical one. All of
the artists mentioned in this thread have actually done a lot of work
themselves to "bend" equipment and software.

If you want to make something similar, I think you should put into
account spending much time with design AND technical issues, be it
windows or linux

anyway, cyclone looks good, I will try it. One thing I want to
experiment is using seq24 to control sooperlooper/cyclone

renato