[LAU] hda_codec_analog 96000 sampling rate?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon Nov 29 22:03:04 UTC 2010

On Monday 29 November 2010 22:03:23 Mark Rages wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got an ubuntu 10.04 system and I am using the sound card built
> into my motherboard.
>
> I would like to play some audio sampled at 96 kHz.  But I don't appear
> to have this enabled:
>
> markrages at markrages-desktop:~$ cat /proc/asound/card*/codec#0  | grep rates
>     rates [0x7f]: 8000 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100 48000
>     rates [0x60]: 44100 48000
>     rates [0x7f]: 8000 11025 16000 22050 32000 44100 48000
>
> But the same file lists "Codec: Analog Devices AD1986A".  I looked up
> the datasheet, and the AD1986A is able to support 96 kHz sampling with
> "Double rate audio".
>
> In audacity I generated a .wav file with a 24 kHz sine wave sampled at
> 96 kHz.  It produces a flat line on the oscilloscope when I play it
> back in audacity or sox.  This makes me suspect that it's getting
> downsampled to 48 kHz somewhere along the way.  (I also tried playing
> it back in alsaplayer and the result was an ugly on the 'scope.  I
> didn't try listening.).
>
> I generated a 1 kHz wave which showed up loud and clear, so the audio
> path is working.
>
> (Before you ask, I'm not trying to play music for dogs, I'm trying to
> generate FM stereo pilot tone.)
>
> So, what do I need to do to get 96kHz playback working?

You need a soundcard that does 96kHz.

Intel hda is not suited for that. "High definition audio" is only suitable for
dvd and still is spec'ed for a lot of hizz and noise...

If its for a notebook your choice is somewhat limited compared to the choice
for pci/pcie capable machines. But there are several devices for low and high
prices out there that will do 96kHz and also 192kHz. Using a hda for this is
just asking for trouble and disappointment (if it even works).

Have fun,

Arnold