[LAU] hda_codec_analog 96000 sampling rate?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Nov 29 22:41:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:33:49PM -0600, Mark Rages wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:09:25PM -0600, Mark Rages wrote:
> >
> >>  - I have an AD1986A codec chip on my motherboard.
> >>  - According to its datasheet, AD1986A supports 96 kHz sample rate.
> >>  - /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 doesn't list 96 kHz.
> >>
> >> Why?
> >
> > Because:
> >
> > * A particular HW design does not have to support everything
> >  a chip could do.
> > * A driver does not necessarily support all hardware features.
>
> I'm using the Alsa driver as set up by Ubuntu.  Would the OSS driver
> be a better choice?

No. To generate the analog signal to modulate an FM transmitter
for stereo you need at least 53 kHz usable bandwidth with a flat
amplitude respnse and perfect linear phase. The minimal practical
sample rate would be around 120 kHz. No audio interface I know of,
not even those work at 192 kHz, can do this.
You'd need an 'instrumentation/laboratory/scientific DA converter
for this to work at all.

Ciao,

--
FA