[LAU] hda_codec_analog 96000 sampling rate?

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Nov 29 23:33:53 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 04:55:12PM -0600, Mark Rages wrote:

> > No. To generate the analog signal to modulate an FM transmitter
> > for stereo you need at least 53 kHz usable bandwidth with a flat
> > amplitude respnse and perfect linear phase. The minimal practical
> > sample rate would be around 120 kHz. No audio interface I know of,
> > not even those work at 192 kHz, can do this.
> > You'd need an 'instrumentation/laboratory/scientific DA converter
> > for this to work at all.
>
> Right.  I just want the pilot tone.

That's 19 kHz, a sample rate of 48 kHz will do fine.
A residual of this shows up in every spectrum I take
from my FM receiver.

The only purpose of generating the 19 kHz pilot without
the actual difference signal would be to make the 'Stereo'
indication light up while the signal is actually mono :-)

> You are saying the 192 kHz soundcards roll off supersonic frequencies
> between the DAC and the output jack?  Or something else?

Most do, as they should. Any signal above 25 kHz or so is
just good to blow up your power amp.

Ciao,

--
FA