[LAU] EQ plug and 4-pin 1394

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 16:56:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Kim Cascone <kim at anechoicmedia.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> 2- my Dell laptop has a 4-pin firewire output and was wondering if there are
> any issues with using a 4 pin cable for a 6 pin I/O other than not supplying
> power?
> I know I have to supply power to the box since a 4-pin 1394 connector
> doesn't carry DC power.

There should be no issues. The 6-pin connector is literally the 4-pin
connector signals (2 out, 2 in) with 2 power wires. There is no
difference in the IEEE-1394A specs for either connector and, in my
experience, the 4-pin has always worked for me.

The biggest issue with 1394 on Linux is the 1394 controller in the PC.
You might look around for evidence that your specific hardware (the
chip inside - not the laptop) is well supported. (I.e - TI is, others
vary) Stefan Richter in the 1394 user list is a great resource. lspci
is your friend.

Hope this helps,
Mark