[LAU] [OT] hardware sound module with digital output

Niels Mayer nielsmayer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:36:18 UTC 2010

Charles Fleche wrote:
> I was randomly looking at current hardware synths, noticing than most of
> them offer only analogue outputs. It looks odd to me to generate a sound
> in the digital world, then convert it to analogue, just to convert it
> back to digital at recording time...

Newer, high-end synths and samplers have mLAN16E2 outputs (
http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/tone_generators_samplers/motif_rack_xs/
). Obviously running over 100/1000M ethernet is the way to go, so it's
just a matter of sorting out all the patents and sony/betamaxisms:
http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2010/07/0403.html

The older versions of this class of synth had ADAT outputs (
http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?id=88 ) and there's
prosumer level ones, as well as external modules like the
"SoundCanvas" with digital outs as well. But with ADAT topping out at
48K, and S/MUX not being that widely adopted, it probably doesn't make
sense unless it's being used with a synth that has <48K internal
sampling rate.

However, if you have an older synth and a soldering iron and the will
to experiment, one could also use a WM8804 "evaluation board" to
create an SPDIF output from the I2S inputs to an older synth's DAC:
http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2010/06/0801.html .

Thanks to the work of Dimitris Papastamos at Wolfson, the WM8804
appears to be getting some direct ALSA support as well:
http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/content/wm8804-linux-support-released  .
I'm still not  clear if these drivers would be able to control a
WM8804 evaluation board from Linux, or if there would be any direct
need to use these controls -- one might want to just "set jumpers" on
the WM8804 into a particular configuration such as
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/wm8804.aspx

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: I could actually be more sure of the above statements if I had a
WM8804 to work with -- is there a way for Linux developers to get this
WM8804 evaluation board for less than $200.00  (which is probably more
than the used cost of the synths and soundcards we might want to
retrofit this way):
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Wolfson-Microelectronics/WM8804-6152-DS20-EV1/?qs=Xqu1B/s4UobSmDPf34PglA%3d%3d