[LAU] cool video tutorial by the xiph guys

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:00:40 UTC 2010

Thanks for all the nice reviews... I hadn't said much because it felt
werd commenting on a thread about a video I made :-)

Most of the problems folks are having I can only pass along.  We did
find a number of bugs in the tools that we used for final prep of the
video streams, and we fixed them as we went along.  For example,
OggIndex had a bug that socked any gstreamer-based players (like
totem).  And... in general, all of this stuff is relatively new, or at
least the WebM and browser playback is.

The WebM stuff only works in bleeding-edge gStreamer, and there had
been a problem producing the files, as it turned out some of the
Matroska tools had broken float handling on Linux (mkclean was using
type-punning, so gcc ate the code involved-- we fixed that).
Similarly, WebM only works in FF4 beta, latest Chrome (though not
well, ironically enough) and latest Opera.

Monty