[LAU] Some new things to play with

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 23:43:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Arnold Krille <arnold at arnoldarts.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Here is the interesting thing: Using the big, bad (really?) toolkits, you get
> that consistency for free. Its only the small 'we know better then all others'
> who struggle with this...
> Which is why I am advocating the use of the more widely adopted toolkits.
>
> I may sound offensive, which I don't intent. What I am trying to say is that
> adhering to standards will free your mind from thinking about these basic
> things. Which results in more time to think about the actual job your app
> does. Which should result in more and better apps.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Arnold

If the user can have a choice as to which shortcuts he wants to apply,
then that's the most universal application of this function we can
get.

Unfortunately, the concept of providing all actions to the user as a
choice (those that have been coded to accept shortcuts at least) is
not universally accepted, or....fashionable. There's at least one app
in our little world that doesn't provide choice, but all hard coded
shortcuts, and unfortunately they are quite removed from what could be
considered even a generic set when compared to what might be
considered mainstream in audio apps. The devs consider they know best
what the user needs regardless of their own experience/lack of
experience using the app or others similar in function.

I guess you could say this is a confirmation of the concept of using a
big toolset to standardize shortcuts, but that's not always the case,
and hardcoded shortcuts do nothing for trying to develop a consistent
global shortcut set, where the user can define fewer shortcuts as a
result of carefully building his or her own global set across many
apps.

I do see your point about consistency, but add that if all apps were
built with user choice for shortcuts, then a much greater user base
would be accessed through that choice.

One step further would have apps providing default shortcut sets for
KDE, Gnome, etc that gave new or existing users that freedom you write
of, so they can simply get on with the task at hand, and leave those
with more individual requirements to build their own.

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org

midi-subscribe at openoctave.org