[LAU] OT: C or C++?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Thu Oct 14 01:10:46 UTC 2010

Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> C++ is a large, somewhat complex language that takes a
> couple years (at least) to master.

I've been using C++ for nearly 20 years (including the last 8+
years professionally) and I am nowhere near mastering it. In
fact, when you add in commonly used things like STL and Boost,
I find the language is growing faster than I'm learning it.

> If you get serious about
> programming, I recommend you move on to C++.

If you get serious about programming, its important to
know more than just C and C++. For many tasks, garbage
collected languages with stricter type systems than C
and C++ are a better fit. Langauges like Python, Ruby,
Ocaml and Haskell. Even Java!!!

Erik