[LAU] RF64 file format and commercial software

Florian Faber faber at faberman.de
Thu Oct 14 06:55:39 UTC 2010

On 10/14/10 06:56, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
>> I'm not really in love with RF64. For my own multichannel use I've
>> standardized on CAF - clean format, no 4GB problems, and all apps
>> using your library can read it.
> Thats an interesting choice.

It's a logical choice given the fact that there are not too many proper
formats for big blobs. I came to the same conclusion a few years ago and
used it ever since.

Funny that some of Apple's own programs didn't seem to support CAF with
all it's features. I remember one time giving a ~70GB recording to an
external studio for mixing and Logic couldn't open a 32 tracks float
format CAF. Luckily they had Audacity installed and extracted all tracks
manually - which took them 2h of paid studio time.. ..a bill I would
really like to send to Apple.

Flo
--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net