[LAU] OT: C or C++?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Thu Oct 14 08:40:17 UTC 2010

Ng Oon-Ee wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 15:17 +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > Josh Lawrence wrote:
> > > also, I've noticed that at my local school most of the computer
> > > science majors use C, so I figure that if I learn C, I can at least
> > > understand that course material on some level.
> >
> > As you might guess from what I've written in this thread, I am
> > quite interested in programming langauge research. From what I
> > have seen of this feild, the vast majority of programming
> > language centered computer science research (ie PhD research
> > and papers in reviewed journals) is done around Haskell and to
> > a lesser extent Ocaml.
>
> I've also heard (sorry, no sources cos I can't remember) that Haskell
> et. al. are ivory tower languages more interesting to academicians than
> for use in 'real' programming. Any comments on that? (questions from a
> noob)

That was definitely true of Haskell 10 years ago, but is becoming
less and less true with each passing year.

Examples of real world practical programs written in Haskell include
the Darcs revision control system [0] and the XMonad tiling window
manager [1].

The statement is even less true for Ocaml which is a very practical
and pragmatic language for solving real world problems.

Erik

[0] http://darcs.net/
[1] http://xmonad.org/