[LAU] OT: C or C++?

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 21:15:46 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM, R. Mattes <rm at mh-freiburg.de> wrote:

> Culture - lot's of (good) frameworks for enterprise computing with good
> documentation. Engineering
> aproach to programming, thousands of reasons _not_ relevant outside the
> business/enterprise world.
> But that's where most of programmings lives. So, iff you educate for this
> market, you better do it
> in Java. I _never_ encountered a company doing in-house development in C++.

My company does in-house C++ development for a couple of our server
products, especially where we need to take advantage of real-time
media streaming on Linux and Solaris. We use a lot of Java also,
mainly for the 'compile once, run anywhere' kind of thing, which for
the most part is fairly true. Most of our developers use Eclipse, I
use emacs and ant for my Java compiling :-)

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.electricminstrel.com