[LAU] OT: C or C++?

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 11:28:49 UTC 2010

On 15/10/10 15:13, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> Using eclipse from the start might be a questionable choice, but for the
> rest there's no best answer. Either take the 'take it as a given'
> approach or start with explaining objects and classes and and and...
>
> About half of my fellow students are total beginners who've never
> written or even read a single line of code. To them everything is new,
> and they need to filter the essentials from the distractions, so less
> distractions is a real help.

Here Java is taught first, many in the class were programming beginners, and
indeed objects and classes came into it very early - that was the point of
teaching Java .. introducing OOP ideas first up. We didn't use eclipse, but
rather BlueJ (a very stripped down alternative designed for teaching and again
making the OOP nature of the language very apparent). C came next, without using
an IDE, and taking a very different look at programming techniques.

Simon