[LAU] Fedora 13 : FFADO

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 23:03:29 UTC 2010

Hi Niels,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that on Fedora 12, I get the following output from jackd :
> ///// ///// ///// ///// /////
> could not open driver .so '/usr/lib64/jack/jack_firewire.so':
> libffado.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> could not open component .so '/usr/lib64/jack/jack_firewire.so':
> libffado.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Unkown driver "firewire"
> ///// ///// ///// ///// /////

Yup I got that one first... then I realized that jack needed an update.

> However, unexpectedly (as suggested by "yum whatprovides"), installing
>  libffado-devel    x86_64    2.0.1-3.20100706.svn1864.fc12     updates
> 51 k
> renders it working one level better:
>
> ///// ///// ///// ///// /////
> 261554187380:  (ffado.cpp)[  92] ffado_streaming_init: libffado
> 2.999.0- built Jul 18 2010 21:25:42
> firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
> Cannot attach audio driver
> JackServer::Open() failed with -1
> ///// ///// ///// ///// /////

Same again, this time I needed to "sudo modprobe ochi1394" or something
similar (for the new stack).

> Checking further w/ ffado-diag:
> ///// ///// ///// ///// /////
> The new FireWire kernel stack is loaded.
> This stack is not supported by FFADO. Please use the old stack.
> ///// ///// ///// ///// /////

Running the new stack with a FFADO 2.0.1-3 from CCRMA no problem now. :-)

> I suspect that on Fedora13, you'll have better luck as there's a more
> compatible firewire stack, or some way of working around the above...
> for some reason your message inspired me to try out my Motu 828
> (sitting in my "to sell" pile) again, against Fedora 12. Even though I
> know it is futile.

If its the firewire 828 i think that was reverse-engineered by some brave
soul,
I owned the USB version for a while, there was no support for that at all...
was
on my "to sell" list. :-)

Perhaps on F13, if you're using the CCRMA jackd, you may find
> installing libffado-devel, and not just libffado may help get your
> interface running. I certainly found the behavior unexpected.

 the -devel packages are only nessisary if you want to *personally compile*
software.
They (should) never install a object file or the likes. :-O

Cheers, -Harry