[LAU] JACK message: ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data type

Jeremy Jongepier autostatic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 11:10:16 UTC 2010

On 10/23/2010 07:51 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Jeremy Jongepier
> <jeremy at autostatic.com>  wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Anybody any clue what the following JACK message means?
>>
>> "ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data type"
>
> since JACK has only 2 data types at present, it implies that you were
> trying to connect audio&  MIDI ports.

Hello Paul,

That is the point, I wasn't doing that deliberately. This message
appears with practically every audio connection I try to make. And I'm
using QjackCtl which doesn't allow for making that kind of connections
afaik.
But at least I know what it means, thanks (pretty straighttforward
though, should've figured it out myself). And indeed, easy to reproduce
on the command line:

jack_connect system:capture_1 yoshimi:midi\ in

Results in a "ports used in attemped connection are not of the same data
type" message (with a little typo). Now my question remains why it appears.

Best,

Jeremy