[LAU] nama

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Sun Oct 24 22:06:15 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 09:51:13PM +0400, alex stone wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 6:36 PM, alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hi Alex,
> >>
> >> That (admittedly cryptic) message means that
> >> Nama sent a command to Ecasound using the Ecasound's Net-ECI
> >> interface, and got a return value other than 256.
> >>
> >> I don't know much about it, except that it has happened
> >> before. The alligators usually swim off. :-)
> >>
> >> To help me understand your environment can I ask:
> >>
> >> - what OS version are you using?
> >> - how did you install Nama?
> >> - how did you install Ecasound?
> >>
> >> Here are some things to try:
> >>
> >> 1) Start Nama with the -D (debugging info) flag.
> >> You'll see what was sent and what came back before Nama
> >> decided to fall on its sword.
> >>
> >> 2) Start Ecasound in server mode in a separate terminal with debugging
> >> turned on:
> >>
> >>    ecasound -K -ddd --server
> >>

> >> Then start Nama again.  This will enable you to observe what
> >> happens in Ecasound.
> >>
> >> 3) Install Audio::Ecasound to provide an alternative
> >> interface to Net-ECI.
> >>
> >>    cpan Audio::Ecasound
> >>
> >>    -OR-
> >>
> >>    apt-get install libaudio-ecasound-perl
> >>
> >>    (The package is available for Debian 'sid' but will install
> >>    on any Debian distribution.)
> >>
> >> Note that Nama will always use Audio::Ecasound if available.
> >> You will need to use the -n flag if you want to force it to
> >> use Net-ECI.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Joel

> > Joel, i'm well and truly lost here, (first time using perl,Cpan, etc)
> > but here's the info:
> >
> > Ecasound 2.6.0 installed from an ebuild in Gentoo. (64bit)

> > I tried nama from cpan, removed it (with the intent of trying again),
> > then after the 2nd try it told me nama was up to date. Good to know,
> > but how do i then install it from there? first time (obviously) it
> > installed the app automatically. 2nd time, well, the alligators are
> > laughing their heads off at my ineptitude.....
> > I assume from this, there's a nama module on my system somewhere that
> > i have to somehow bring to life.

Yes, in /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/Audio/Nama.pm
according to your error message above.

(And also the stuff in /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.12.2/Audio/Nama/)

> > Alex.
> >
> > p.s. On the nama site it says i can install cpan
> > audio::ecasound::multitrack (presumably a clever way to install nama),
> > but when i try, it tells me the module is not in the repo. Have i
> > misunderstood this? And is the version up to date?

A::E::M is an old name for the module...

Your version is up-to-date (at least relative to CPAN).

Does Nama crash repeatedly? If so, I'm happy to have an
opportunity to understand this problem better.

I suggest you try:

$ nama -D

This will show a lot of debug information. The last
thing you see spit out to the terminal before Nama crashes
may be useful :-)

Please let me know what happens!

Next, as a workaround, try installing Audio::Ecasound, the same way
you installed Nama.

$ cpan Audio::Ecasound

> Joel, i've got the docs open, so i'll learn a bit about basic cpan
> commands, and see what happens from there.

You shouldn't need to know much to use the cpan client, but
of course, more knowledge helps -- sometimes just to
make bigger, better mistakes. :-) :-)

Joel

--
Joel Roth