[LAU] Linux/Windows dichotomy

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 16:57:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
>  It would be
> interesting to see how well Windows audio production programs run
> using this technique instead of Wine.

Works great for certain applications that aren't overly hardware
dependent. If the app must have access to specific audio hardware (a
specific sound card or MIDI access) then in my experience it's hit and
miss.

I use VMWare where I have about a dozen Win XP and Win 7 appliances
that I use for different things. The best thing about this approach
(to me - certainly not for others) is that I can back up the
appliances across my network to multiple servers. If my main machine
completely dies I reinstall Linux and VMWare, copy the backups for
Windows back and I'm up and running.

- Mark