[LAU] alsa-jack plugin... some patches.

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Oct 29 13:15:00 UTC 2010

On 10/29/10 15:01, torbenh wrote:

> no. i just copied over the jack plugin. and i am on squeeze too.
> this is not the issue.
thanks for the info.

> please post your complete .asoundrc
> i think your default entry is just a bit wrong.
attached.

>> Anyway the new jack-plug works (tested with skype, firefox/flash &
>> mplayer) for half a day.
>>
>> For day-to-day usage I moved away from jack-plug a while ago and am
>> using snd_aloop with alsa_in/out - it's a bit more heavy on CPU usage
>> but much more robust.
>>
>> One remaining issue with jack-plug that I don't have with snd_aloop is
>> that some clients (fi. firefox) do not close the audio-device.
>> If the client is still connected to alsa/jack-plug and I re-start jackd,
>> sound becomes unavailable until the client (here: firefox) is also
>> restarted.
>
> i guess there is not much we can do.
> what does pulse do under these circumstances ?

I dunno. I never used pulseaudio.

> but since the goal is just to never stop jack, this issue will be
> ignored ;D

fair enough.

Well there's two reasons for stopping JACK from time-to-time:
 - save battery power when traveling and not listening to audio
 - debugging some JACK apps.. where I need sound *and* gdb
   (otherwise
    `jackd -t 600000 -r -n debug -d dummy` and
     JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER=debug gdb ...
    does the trick)

In my case those events occur much more frequently than I wish to
re-start firefox and other non-jack apps :)

Anyway it's probably just me and I'm happy with snd_aloop.
robin