[LAU] Music made with linux: Abundance - Ambient-Psy-Trance

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sat Oct 30 15:39:53 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Patrick Shirkey's message of 2010-10-26 08:06:43 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> I have uploaded a new mix I have done last night and this morning inspired
> by Halloween weekend 2010 in Sydney, Australia and in particular Stacey
> Pullen's excellent set. If you listen closely you may hear the influence.
>
> It's a long player - 808 MB - 65mins - flac, 48Khz, stereo
>
> http://djcj.org/audio/kotau/Abundance-Ambient-Psy-Trance-DJ_Kotau_Session_2010-10-26.flac
>
> Recorded on a quad core Intel 3Ghz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 12, using ardour3 for
> multitracking, AMS for the pulsating bassline and Hydrogen for the drum
> sequencing.
>
> Designed to be played loud and immersively, and preferably with a large
> blast of dopamines to the brain.
>
> I think it could be enhanced with a seriously funky bassline. If anyone
> wants to take a stab at it, that would be cool wid me. It's definitely in
> there just about bursting to get out.
>

> Cheers.
>
> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd.
>
> "ZPE is not about creating something from nothing: It is about using the
> zero point of a wave as a means to transform other forms of potential
> energy like magnetic flux, heat, or particle spin into usable energy in
> such a way that entropy appears to be reversed."

Hi Patrick.
In the spirit of bad press is better than no press, here's my feedback:
I put the song on and after a while felt an urge to sing. Given my less
than stellar reputation as singer I'm not sure whether it's a good sign.
Then I went grocery shopping, came back, and it felt like I hadn't
missed anything.

In other, more blunt and direct words, even highly repetitive is a
misnomer. To my ears it's just boring, unmusical and annoying.

Who am I to criticize? Anything I've done is hardly any better, but I
know that the music I am able to and like to create is not the kind of
music people would want to listen to, myself included. This is not
supposed to discourage you, it's just another point of view.

Regards,
Philipp