[LAU] bass fan?

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 20:48:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20014842-47.html?tag=mncol
> "World's most amazing subwoofer has no woofer"
>
> Building one of these sounds like a good arduino project. :-) Seems
> like  "all" you'd need to do is figure out a mapping between how far
> you'd rotate the servo-controlled fan-blades in response to sound.

Sort of... It's quite an interesting sub.  I've had my eye on that one
for years.  If you notice the description carefully enough, the blades
actuators aren't from servos.  There's a voice coil (which at dc and
low frequencies) that acts like a solenoid.  That's what allows
Thigpen's design to work with existing amplifiers.

Be careful about what you build if you want to sell one or publish it,
because it's patented.  Likely the patent doesn't just cover the
specific design, but the design principle of variable pitch fan blades
as an acoustic transducer.

It may be a significant new design if you can make one that has fixed
blades and a modulated acoustic impedance or variable speed drive
motor.  I've spent much time thinking about this one.

> I also wonder if this technology can be used to make spatially dynamic
> sounds that would be difficult to synthesize, much like a real leslie
> rotating speaker sounds different than an emulated one.

heh, like those fans that oscillate side to side :)

Chuck