[LAU] Jackdbus realtime

Goran Mekić meka at ns-linux.org
Thu Sep 2 11:27:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 01:55:51 +0300, Nedko Arnaudov <nedko at arnaudov.name>
wrote:
> Hi Goran!
>
> I've never used set_rlimits myself so please excuse me if I'll give you
> wrong advices.
>
> Probably the best way to run jackdbus with realtime privileges will
> be to edit this file:
>
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.jackaudio.service
>
> It contains the commandline that D-Bus session daemon uses to start
> jackdbus when it is needed.
>
> I'm not sure how set_rlimits is used but if I got it right, you have to
> start jackdbus through it.
    Starting jackd(bus) through set_rlimits is just one step. I wanted to
know how to pass realtime option (it's -R for jackd if I remember
correctly) when jackdbus accepts "auto" as the only argument (config file
or something?)

> Do you start other audio apps through set_rlimits? If so you may want
> to run ladishd through set_rlimits as well. Its dbus service file is:
>
> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.ladish.service
>
> All apps are started by ladishd. gladish is just a GUI that talks to
> ladishd. Or you can specify set_rlimits in the commandlines for apps but
> I think this will be quite wrong approach in general.
    Setting ladishd through set_rlimits would be the way to go, I think.

> Other possibility is to start the D-Bus session daemon through
> set_rlimits but how to do it depends on how tge session daemon is
> started on your machine.
    No, that would be wrong. One would want only some apps/daemons with
rlimits.

> Please, tell me whether these advices are helpful. I think it will be
> useful if the ladish.org wiki has a page that describes how to properly
> setup computers for using set_rlimits. Also you are more than welcome to
> join the ladish mailing list and/or join the IRC channel where people
> using ladish share thoughs about ladish functionality and the problems
> they have.
    I think this is helpful, but I can not test it at work. I have
rehearsals and some work to finish, so I hope I'll get back to you with the
info this week. Thanx anyway!

--
FreeB(eer)S(ex)D(rugs) are the real daemons