[LAU] New Early Music made with Linux

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Fri Sep 3 18:00:06 UTC 2010

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 08/31/2010 09:49 PM, Giso Grimm wrote:
>> A new Early Music CD has been produced using FLOSS on Linux, mainly
>> Ardour:
>>
>> Sound out my voice - Italian madrigals and bastarda music for viol
>> consort
>>
>> The CD is played by the viol [1] consort "ORLANDOviols". It is
>> commercially available at http://www.orlandoviols.de/, and soon also via
>> amazon (Europe at least). A non-commercial publishing is planned after a
>> while.
>>
>> A video, more or less the making of the CD, is available on youtube:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUx_UIcht2Y
>> The video is completely made with Blender on Linux.
>
> impressive. loved the virtual sellotape on the recording room door :)
>
> fun combination, early music and VR video...
> at least the palestrina soundbite does not work, though. instead, your
> provider throws up some really helpful advertisements.

Sorry, I will check. Anyway, the sound samples on the web are outdated,
I will replace them by samples of the CD.

> i'd be very interested to see you guys live at some point.

Next Sunday (Sept. 5th) in Großburgwedel near Hannover...

> as to the mixing, i can see how it makes sense for most consumers to
> have a very present, in-your-face mix to listen to in your car while
> returning from a live concert, but i find the sound a tad too "loud" and
> close-miked given the material and instruments. but then i have a taste
> with no commercial potential whatsoever...

I have to admit that the room was not very easy to use: The church was
actually only the choir of a formerly much larger church. Where the
transept usually begins there was a large flat (sand stone) wall, with
quite distinct reflections. That (and also the presence of the
surrounding noises, wind and harvesters) forced us to the close mics.
But then, I like the presence, I like if you can hear the plain gut
strings rasp and squeak.

> next time you meet for a recording session, would you mind me crashing
> the party with an ambisonic mike in the middle?

Sure, would be interesting. Actually, since the recording I bought a
TetraMic for the university I work for, I definitely would have used it
if I had had it already then...

Actually we plan a concert with Early Music, real time ambisonincs
processing and improvised modern dance (with tracking for 3d sound
interaction). But this is still in the planning phase.

- Giso