[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 4 07:05:00 UTC 2010

David Santamauro wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 17:56:13 +0530
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are two voices I hear here vis-a-vis Bach:
>> 1. Art for art's sake -- the romantic idea
>> 2. Art for money's sake -- the distinction of commercial vs
>> commisioned being a fine semantic distinction.
>>
>> Bach himself expressed a view however which does not fit in with
>> either: *
>> Anything done other than for the service of God is vanity*
>
> "The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the
> glory of God and the refreshment of the soul."
>
> God, unfortunately, doesn't pay for food directly. The refreshment of
> the soul alone would have left him starving as well.
>
> Although he was extremely devote and clearly most of his inspiration
> was generated by that religious stance, he was not above squabbling for
> better pay. The fact that his employer was the church might also had
> something to do with that stance as well.

Wealthy churches in those days were often beneficiaries of very wealthy
rulers, princes, too.

And having what, 14 children? would certainly encourage you to seek
better pay.

> "He regarded himself as a conscientious craftsman doing a job to the
> best of his ability for the satisfaction of his superiors, for the
> pleasure and edification of his fellowmen, and to the glory of
> God." [ Grout & Palisca: A History of Western Music ]

I think that sums it up very well. Thanks, will add it to my quote
collection!

Notice: "craftsman". Not an "artiste" or a "diva" or any such thing.

Now put "superiors" in quotes (most modern artists really don't consider
anyone their superior), define "fellowmen" as "the small group of people
who are learned/educated/intelligent/etc enough to appreciate what I do
with music", and throw God out of the picture entirely (or substitute
"ME" for "God") - and I think you've got the modern attitude.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community