[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

rosea grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 09:52:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:59:02AM +0200, rosea grammostola wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need a new workstation | DAW pc, would be nice to get some advise.
> >
> > Silent
> > Energy friendly (relative...)
> > Good for audio work
> > Price: 300 - 500 euro
> >

> >    1. Which components are the most important? And which components might
> be
> >    good second hand as well?
> >    2. How many cores, is a dualcore enough, or do I need a quatro core?
> It
> >    would be nice to be able to enjoy the computer in the coming 3 years
> (I
> >    don't know how heavy computing will be in 3 years...)
> >    3. Which computer case?
> >    4. Motherboard
> >    5. Monitor
> >    6. Fans?
>
> You could give more detail about exactly what you plan to do with it.
>
> There are people who need massive power today (not to mention 3 years
> from now), and there are people who don't need tons of power today, and
> probably still won't in 3 years.  The number of audio people today using
> 3-5 year machines is pretty darn high, and they aren't limited to
> amatures either.  That makes me think you probably don't have to worry
> too much about machine performance.

Right, for audio a dualcore with 4 GB will do imo, but I might need some
extra power for other work.

Another aspect of a pc for audio is noise. I was wondering, might it be
possible to use a long cable to my pc monitor and place my pc in another
room. Will there be any degradation of the quality of the visual display
with a long >= 5m. cable?

Regards,
\r