[LAU] re Subconscious Affecting Music

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 4 10:26:12 UTC 2010

Louigi Verona wrote:
> I agree on a lot of what you say. I just believe that some things are
> larger than what a person thinks of them. Being a craftsman, having
> glory, even being aware of one's achievements and getting a contract - I
> am absolutely not against those things. I am just saying they should be
> in correct perspective.

I agree, keeping in mind that they're not mutually exclusive.

> Today, I argue, many people put money and
> personality into too much light.

Even in things that have no connection with art. Look at how many of
today's basketball players talk - you'd think that before they were
born, they'd given themselves their athletic abilities!

> While a lot of those things should be
> kept personal, like awareness of achievements, not be shown on TV in
> form of a show where they show off houses and cars.

Or even a video channel that was founded to show music videos? (Yah, I
know, the real MTV died a long time ago!)

I think one should keep in mind that one use of the media is to tell
people, "Here is my work. Here is my renown." So if you're a traveling
musician and come into a town to play a concert, it's certainly OK to be
interviewed by the local radio station, maybe play a few songs and sign
some CDs at the local music store. One can do all that without going
overboard into ego and personality.

Well, easier for some than others! I can't quite picture Axl Rose or
Mick Jagger stuffing their egos and personalities into a sack before
going into the interview.

Here in Hawaii, we have a long tradition of Hawaiian music and chant
(not that tourist stuff!). At one place where I worked, there was an
older (70+) native Hawaiian man named Kawika whose job was to distribute
and pick up interoffice mail. Knew him for many years. He was friendly,
knew everyone in the large company, did his work, never talked about
himself.

One day someone else in the office asked if I'd heard that his song had
won a Hoku Award (Google it). I didn't even know he wrote music! It
turned out that he'd written many Hawaiian songs, and one he'd written
for his daughter that year had won the Hoku.

At the same place, for several years, the director of one of the
departments was Marlene Sai. I worked with her daily for two weeks
straight, documenting their department procedures, and never knew this
about her: <http://www.hawaiianmusichistory.com/artists/marlene-sai.htm>

Another place where I worked, we had a part time worker, a native
Hawaiian man, who did messenger duties and light maintenance work at
various buildings the bank I worked for owned. Then someone asked if I'd
walked over to see his sculpture yet. He'd been commissioned to make
four Hawaiian sculptures in bronze for the lobby of a large new high
rise office building downtown! And had apparently been sculpting for
about 20 years. That was why he only worked part time! He also didn't
talk about himself or his sculpture.

Hawaiian culture is that way. You don't talk about your deeds, you don't
glorify yourself. You have glory when others talk about your deeds. And
you always have an attitude of gratitude for the gifts/talents you have.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community