[LAU] OT: external sound for linux card advice

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sat Sep 4 17:36:06 UTC 2010

On 09/04/2010 05:06 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> FireWire for Laptop (thinkpad). At least 4 output channels, 8 is
> better with a very decent audio quality. :-)
> Possible to have this hardware robust and trustful to perform live?

Hello Bernardo,

Then maybe a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 might be an option, don't know how
many output channels that one has, I think it has 8. I'm testing its
bigger brother, the 40, and so far it performs well. But then we're
talking about a quadcore CPU with hyperthreading on a desktop machine.
Don't know how it will perform on a notebook.
When it comes to using it live, don't know, the 'problem' with FireWire
devices and JACK (at least JACK1, don't know about JACK2) is that if you
run into xruns those could take JACK down completely resulting in a mute
machine. I have the feeling this happens less with USB, USB just keeps
going. So for live performances maybe an USB sound card might be a
better option.

Best,

Jeremy