[LAU] New workstation | DAW pc

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 20:33:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Jeff Sandys <jpsandys at gmail.com> wrote:
> rosea grammostola said:
>
> Hi,
> I need a new workstation | DAW pc, would be nice to get some advise.
>
> Silent
> Energy friendly (relative...)
> Good for audio work
> Price: 300 - 500 euro
>
> Concerning the silent part you might want to check out Fernando's
> presentation at LAC 2009:
> The Quest for Noiseless Computers
>     http://lad.linuxaudio.org/events/2009_cdm/Friday/14_LopezLezcano/index.html
>
> -- Jeff Sandys

Some years ago I happened to be in Fernando's office (such a great
guy!) and he pointed at what looked like an unpowered box. However it
turned out is was completely built and powered up and until I put my
ear right next to the case I couldn't hear anything. The machine was
beautiful to look at and very quiet but not something one could do for
300-500 euros. It was a very expensive Zalman case that would use up
the complete budget, along with all high end components, I think water
cooling, etc. He was going to put it into the CCRMA recording studios
I think. I'd love to drop by again one day should I be invited to see
what he's doing because I'm sure it would be very cool.

- Mark