[LAU] Installing Google Voice Chat for Linux on Fedora instead of Debian

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Sep 8 16:57:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer at gmail.com> wrote:

> So the question remains, is there a single configuration setting or
> environment variable that can prevent applications from even trying to
> use pulseaudio API directly? Despite Lennart's warning, it seems like
> most gnome applications have this problem, which lead me to believe
> that underlying gnome libs are the ones using the pulseaudio API
> directly.

gnome (not gtk) apps use the following gconf settings for sound output

system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/default/audiosink
system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/default/chataudiosink
system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/default/musicaudiosink

my machines have the first and last of these set to: jackaudiosink
buffer-time=2000000

and as a result all my gnome apps (and firefox too) route audio via
jack. there are other options too.