[LAU] New Early Music made with Linux

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Sep 8 22:29:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 08:00:06PM +0200, Giso Grimm wrote:

> I have to admit that the room was not very easy to use: The church was
> actually only the choir of a formerly much larger church. Where the
> transept usually begins there was a large flat (sand stone) wall, with
> quite distinct reflections. That (and also the presence of the
> surrounding noises, wind and harvesters) forced us to the close mics.
> But then, I like the presence, I like if you can hear the plain gut
> strings rasp and squeak.

Having listened to the entire CD (and doing so again ATM), I'd say
the distance and presence are IMHO *exactly right*.

In fact, adding more reverb would make it more 'commercial'. Some
people would maybe would like it, but it would be wrong for this
music.

In a previous life I recorded a hundred or so concerts at the yearly
Early Music Festival in Bruges, Belgium. Most of these were performed
in churches, and in some cases (when the music wasn't ever meant to
be played there) this completely spoiled the experience for most of
the audience (and sometimes the recording as well).

Ciao,

--
FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.